One of the most commonly broken safety regulations is Lockout-Tagout. The purpose of this regulation is to control hazardous energy sources when working on machines that could potentially cause harm. You wouldn’t want someone turning on the power when you are performing maintenance. With the right equipment and training, accidents and injuries can easily be avoided.
Lockout-Tagout out is necessary for workers who perform maintenance or repair work on electrical equipment, machinery, or hazardous energy sources. It applies to all types of energy sources, including electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, and others.
Examples of equipment that require lockout-tag out include:
- Electrical equipment such as circuit breakers, switches, and transformers.
- Machinery with moving parts such as conveyors, crushers, and presses.
- Equipment powered by hydraulic or pneumatic systems.
- Any equipment that has the potential to cause injury or damage if not properly secured during maintenance or repair.
Employers can provide training and education to workers on Lockout-Tagout using OSHA approved courses.
The consequences of non-compliance with Lockout-Tagout regulations can be severe, both in terms of human injury and financial impact.
Some of the consequences of non-compliance include:
- Fines and penalties from regulatory agencies such as OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration).
- Workplace accidents and injuries.
- Increased insurance premiums.
Some Equipment needed:
- Lockout devices: These are devices that physically lock out energy sources and prevent them from being turned on while maintenance or repair work is being performed. Examples include padlocks, hasps, and circuit breaker locks.
- Tags: Tags are used to identify equipment that has been locked out. They typically include warning messages and the name of the worker who performed the lock out.
- Valve lockout devices: These devices are used to lock out valves and prevent the release of hazardous energy. Examples include ball valve locks and gate valve locks.
At AIS Industrial supply we carry a wide range of Lockout-Tagout equipment by Master Lock, American Lock, and more. Contact us today with any questions about the items we carry. Come pick up your lock system today by coming into our showroom in Denver, CO.
Achieve OSHA Compliance with ease! AIS offers a complimentary on-site assessment to determine what you need to achieve OSHA Compliance. Trust the experts and ensure a safe workplace. Book your assessment now!
Click this link to complete a free self-evaluation of your lockout management system.
This Master Lock Safety Kit and accessories is great for starters and includes a variety of equipment you need to comply with OSHA’s Lockout-Tagout requirements.
Master Lock® Safety Lockout Kit, Personal, 24 Pieces, Red
Master Lock® Lockout Padlock, Series: Zenex™
Master Lock® Circuit Breaker Lockout
Master Lock® Lockout Hasp, Scissor Snap-On